Kyle and I have gotten into the whole “Taco Tuesday” routine – I make him taco boats (similar to regular tacos), and I make myself a taco salad.
I love sharing my meals on my Fitness/Health Instagram account (@elizabeth_healthy_life), and I often get asked what I put in my taco salad. There are so many ingredients, it’s a little hard to pick out every single one!
I’ve taken a basic taco salad and made some healthier substitutions with some delicious additions. So, I thought I’d share the recipe/ingredients here:
- Base layer is spinach
- Add lean turkey (I use 99% fat free). While it’s cooking on the stove top, I mix in chili powder for some spice.
- Sprinkle brown rice over turkey
- Chop up some onion, red pepper, and add.
- Then add sliced jalapeño peppers
- Cut up ~1/3 an avocado and add
- ***My key ingredient: Snyder’s mini unsalted and fat free pretzels. I usually add around 7-10 on top. I use these pretzels instead of tortilla chips – WAY healthier but they still add that nice crunch 🙂
- One scoop of Chobani nonfat Greek Yogurt on the side (in replace of sour cream)
- One wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on the side as well (I like using the spicier flavors, like the Spicy Pepper Jack or the Queso Fresco & Chipotle).
- Drizzle salsa over entire salad
Even if you don’t have all of the ingredients listed above, it’s still a delicious, colorful, and healthy salad! Personally, I prefer making this salad in a tupperware container so I can snap the lid on and shake it all up so everything is mixed.
Finished product 🙂