Simple Sloppy Joes
These simple Sloppy Joes are juicy and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Prep ahead of time and have on hand when you need a quick dinner or freeze and save for another time. Plus, it’s family friendly and sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Simple Sloppy Joes are perfect for meal prep!
Making dinner in advance? Whip up these simple Sloppy Joes and freeze in an air-tight container. When you’re ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and simmer in a medium saucepan until warm.
This Easy Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken is another easy meal prep dinner idea that’s family friendly and can be frozen or served immediately.
What can I put on top of Sloppy Joes?
Sloppy Joes are very customizable! Add a few toppings or serve as is. Some topping choices include:
- Pickle slices
- Slice of cheese
- Barbecue sauce (Dale’s Pale Ale Barbecue Sauce is my favorite)
- Red onion slices
- Tomato slice
- Green or red pepper strips
- Banana peppers
- Jalapeno peppers
How do you make Simple Sloppy Joe’s?
First, dice an onion and chop either a red or green pepper. After preparing the veggies, spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and turn the heat to medium-high. When the skillet is hot, add the diced onion and sauté for about two minutes. Next, add the pepper to the skillet and sauté for two minutes.
Then, add the ground beef to the skillet and use either a wooden or metal spoon to chop up the beef and combine it with the veggies. Cook the beef with the veggies until no pink remains.
After the ground beef has cooked, add the minced onion to the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds. Next, add the tomato paste and stir until well combined.
Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet, which include the water, mustard, tomato sauce, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, and stir to combine.
Finally, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. The simple sloppy joes mixture should be thick. Scoop the mixture into toasted hamburger buns and serve.
Simple Sloppy Joes
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Garlic mincer
- Can opener
- Wooden spoon
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green or red pepper chopped
- 1.5 lb ground beef or turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 T mustard yellow or dijon
- 1 can tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the diced onion to the skillet. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add the chopped pepper to the skillet and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and mix with the vegetables. Cook until no pink remains.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then, add in the tomato paste and stir until it's well combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet: water, mustard, tomato sauce, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about ten minutes. The mixture should be thick.
- Scoop into toasted hamburger buns and store in an airtight container .
- Use either ground beef or ground turkey – both taste delicious!